#IAfSAlumni: Marian (Ify) Okpali

Name: Marian (Ify) Okpali

Program: M.A.I.A

Concentration: Africa, Global Energy & Environmental Policy

Graduation Year: 2019

Ms. Okpali is a young professional with a regional interest in the Africa region as well as sectoral interests in sustainable development, conflict & security, and international media development. She was a 2017 Boren Fellow in Arabic, and a 2017 Freeman Fellow at The Asia Foundation – Environment Program. She currently works as an Academic Specialist as part of the Academic Affairs team at the Africa Center for Strategic Studies where she provides administrative, programmatic, and editorial support. Prior to her current role, she was a Program Associate to the COO Team at Internews Network where she served as primary liaison to the Board of Directors in addition to providing programmatic support for internal and senior staff activities. As a graduate student, she interned at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, The Atlantic Council – Global Energy Center, The Asia Foundation – Thailand, Fondation Orient Occident – Morocco, and Policy Center for the New South – Morocco.

What was behind the decision to select your program/concentration and why the Elliott School?

When I first began at the Elliott School, I knew that I wanted to take as many courses as possible on Africa so that was a natural fit. I was also very interested in learning more about energy and environmental policy especially as it relates to sustainable development.

What has been your favorite course at the Elliott School and why?

My favorite course at Elliott School was “Transnational Threats in Africa.” In this course, I was able to learn about a broad array of issues and opportunities for engagement on the continent. This class also significantly increased my awareness of and appreciation for the security-development nexus. This was also one of the few courses I took where there was a nice balance between students more interested in development (like myself) and students more interested in security. It was great to see how both aspiring development and security professionals viewed issues differently as well as how the work that we all undertake does and should complement each other.

What was the most rewarding work, intern, or volunteer experience while going through your program at the Elliott School?

I took a year off in between my first and second year at Elliott to pursue a Boren Fellowship in Morocco to study Arabic. While there, I completed an internship at the think tank, Policy Center for the New South. Not only was this my first significant experience living on the continent for an extended period of time, but it was also my first professional experience on the continent as well.

What have you been up to since graduating?

A few months after graduation, I transitioned from my previous job at an NGO and began working at the Africa Center for Strategic Studies. In my free time, I still take Arabic courses to improve my language skills. I’m also a member of Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) where I’m involved in a few discussion groups. I really enjoy it because I’m able to geek out on various foreign policy issues with folks who are equally as passionate – which I’ve found to be a pretty rare occurrence outside of a school or work setting.

What advice do you have for first-year students who are starting their graduate studies?

Outside of taking classes that genuinely interest you, please take full advantage of the career center and find an internship/volunteer experience in a few things you think you’d like to do. As someone who went straight to grad school from undergrad, I can’t stress enough how gaining various experiences while still a student helped inform the classes that I would choose, and refine my future professional goals.

How do you feel about pineapple on pizza?

It’s simple, pineapple on pizza is the worst combination of sweet and sour that ever existed. If you must have both, my view is that you have some pineapple on the side after you’ve finished your pizza.

The IAfS Alumni Profiles highlight former Elliott School graduate students and seeks to answer common questions posed by prospective, current, and incoming students. The views expressed by students profiled do not necessarily represent those of organizations they work for are affiliated with, or the Elliott School of International Affairs. For more information or to submit questions, e-mail iafs@gwu.edu.